Monday, January 30, 2012

Blue...and how

To those who think I am living the glamour life here in Europe, let me just point out to you my Sunday was so boring I read my car owner's manual. That did, in fact, come in handy today when I needed to set the windshield wipers to auto sense for the snow. I felt fairly smug that I knew how to do that. And, then I quickly felt fairly lame that I had actually spent a weekend day on my couch with new car guides.

But, what else to do? I had cancelled my ski plans for weather and there are no errands you can run in Switzerland on a Sunday! All retail is closed. For those of you who remember blue laws in the U.S. (sorry, I do not), I hear it is akin to that. It makes me crazy. There was a week in mid January when I got home from a business trip on Saturday night and literally ate peanut butter on crackers for lunch and dinner on Sunday because I could not go grocery shopping! Yeah, right, I should have had stuff in the freezer. You people are the ones who put your meat out to thaw in the morning before work, too, aren't you?

I could have gone to a museum, but I'm saving up the museums for when my family and friends visit, as there are sure to be Sundays we will need to fill.

After I chickened out because of weather, a colleague of mine told me today that the skiing was amazing this weekend, which made me pause since everyone had told me how misty, foggy, blustery and downright miserable it had been. This guy pointed out to me that it is best to ski in the trees at such times because the trees provide shadows that make it easier to see in the fog.

Huh???

I'm thinking that trees will make it easier for me to smack into one in the fog. I can't be sure. I'm just saying.

So, since this weekend was a bust in the ski category, my first ski outing should be this Friday. After a beautifully mild winter, this Friday is supposed to be minus 20 (C) or something like that. For those of you on Fahrenheit, let me just say that minus 20 is still freaking cold.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I imagine I will make one run and then head straight for the fondue and mulled wine! Or heck, if it is too bad, it's Friday, so at least I can go grocery shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment