Thursday, February 23, 2012

Tickets and snow

My last month has consisted mainly of moving violations and weather. Fortunately, they were not related. My speeding ticket has not come yet (see my previous post about that). But, I did manage to get a parking ticket. And, not even in a spot I knew was illegal (because sometimes you KNOW.) So, now I'm thinking that if I can manage to get less than one ticket a month, that will be a good average. For some reason, I had actually thought I would get through my entire stint in Switzerland without a ticket, since it had been 25 years since I had my last one! Um, wrong.

Other than that, it's been cold as ****. (Insert your own expletive.) There is really not a lot to do in Switzerland that is inside, so when one of my daughters came to visit a couple weeks ago, we made a valiant attempt to sightsee. After a few near frostbite experiences touring castles and cathedrals (on hills), we finally retreated to the closest coffee or wine bar (depending on the time of day we finally gave up.)

I had three ski days planned that were cancelled for weather. Because glorious skiing is right outside your door here, you can be pretty picky about the conditions you ski in. I thought back to a few times I skied in the Sierras in California with the snow coming down sideways and decided I had been way too tenacious. Here, if it's too cold or the visibility is not just right or the snow is not to your liking, there is always another ski day.

But, I finally rallied a group to go last Saturday and we were rewarded with a beautiful day. Blue sky, sun, and good croute au fromage and wine for lunch. All my sporting friends know my m.o. I run so I can eat as much as I want. I cycle if we are biking TO breakfast. I hike to restaurants. So, breaking for what was essentially an open-faced grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of wine was right up my alley.

We're going again this Saturday. I'm taking the bus so my risk of a new ticket is minimal. I wonder if jaywalking with skis is a fineable offense here?

No comments:

Post a Comment