Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dogs, trains and other good things

Yes, it has been a LONG time since I've posted, as many of my friends have been pointing out. But, never fear, I've been busy collecting observations while I've been gone! Some thoughts (...pitter...)...

What the Swiss got right


An absolutely amazing public transportation system. I know this is fairly well known around the world, but it can only be truly appreciated when you've actually scheduled your walk to the train to arrive 30 seconds before the train will leave, and it is there when you get there, and you don't panic because you know it will leave precisely on time. The bus is the same way. It actually arrives on schedule! I am so accustomed to this now that when I took the train on Sunday, I was a bit miffed that the 16:01 train actually didn't leave until 16:02.

Dogs in restaurants and stores. In general, Swiss dogs behave better in restaurants than many toddlers, so why not? I have yet to see a dog have a meltdown at the next table because his mother gave him too many drink choices. However, I have been a bit startled in the middle of a glass of French champagne by an unexpected tiff between canine neighbors under the table.

The scenery. Yes, I know this wasn't a conscious choice by the Swiss, but every time I look out my living room window, I am impressed.

And, I can't leave this section without mentioning...the cheese. Of course. My latest find was an amazing Roquefort. I realize it's not technically Swiss, it's French. BUT, the selection of cheese at any grocery store here is truly amazing. So far, only one totally inedible version. And, actually, it wasn't inedible, it's just that it smelled so God-awful that I couldn't keep it in the house. I found myself choosing tap water to drink because I was afraid to open the refrigerator. I made the mistake of telling my friends about the olfactory horror in the icebox. After one of my parties, they took the cheese with them and disposed of it in the neighbor's dumpster. Honestly, it didn't taste bad. They did not believe me.

Next time...what the Swiss got wrong...

1 comment:

  1. Declining to participate in wars also seems like it worked pretty well for them. And keeping bank accounts for the likes of Mitt.

    Had a lovely dinner with Sue last week and we only talked about you a little.

    ReplyDelete