Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A good thing I forgot!

I forgot one of the most important and amazing things about Switzerland in yesterday's blog. Fortunately, one of my good readers pointed it out and now I'll wax poetic about it...

Another thing the Swiss got right

Moving money around is a science here. And, it is fantastic. Like everything else Swiss, the banking system is quite orderly. Lots of rules, but at least you know what they are. All, and I mean ALL, of my bills are paid online via "orange slips" that enable managing all my bills, both regular and one-time, based on the invoice. I realize you can sort of do this in the U.S., but the standardization here is so advanced that it makes this the easiest money management I've ever done.

Checks are not even possible here. I received some checks from the U.S. and took them to my bank. The teller touched them like they were infected and told me that, well, yes, they COULD accept them, but there would be a $30 charge for each check and it would probably take about six weeks to clear! Apparently, checks are so 20th century. You can't even write a check to pay your neighbor for picking up your groceries. But, you CAN make an online transfer. Sounds like this could be a negative, but not. It's a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment