Thursday, October 27, 2011

Car Shopping

It will soon be time to say good-bye to my sweet Audi and come back to the real world of Practical Patty. So, now that I've gotten to the point where I don't hyperventilate every time I have to go to the grocery store, it was time to branch out and go to the car store. I had done most of my shopping online, so this was not browsing day, this was buying day.

The dealership with the car I want is in Geneva, which is a bit over an hour away. Driving there this evening, especially during rush hour, was a bit more than I could handle. Not good to hyperventilate WHILE you're driving. So, I took the train. That's always a great cultural experience for me. I mostly stare out the window and try to eavesdrop on other people's conversations to see if I can understand any French. And, today, I would say the answer is...no. Although, every now and then I picked out a word, which is better than my ears were two weeks ago!

Normally, you can take the train all the way to Geneva. Easy peasy. But, today while we were sitting in Lausanne, I looked at the train schedule on my iPhone and realized if I were going to make my connection in Geneva, I was going to have change to a faster train out of Lausanne. Uh oh. Check my watch (actually check my iPhone because the train time is EXACT in Switzerland.) It's two minutes until the other train leaves and I'm not sure where the platform is. Double uh oh. So, the quick risk analysis...get off this train and try to catch the other train and, if I don't, probably not be able to make it back to this train before it leaves. Or, stay put and take a later connection out of Geneva when this train finally gets in.

RUN!

Down the stairs, quick look at the schedule, platform 7, escalator is full so run up the stairs. See the train is still there. Run a little faster. Hop up the steps and doors close behind me. YES! Small victory, but hey, another little adventure in my small little life. And, now at least I know that there are actually times I will want to change trains in Lausanne.

I finally made up my mind on which car I wanted at the dealership. The part of me that thinks I should be hip and cool considered the coupe hardtop, especially given there are not kids or dogs in my car daily anymore. The practical part of me that knows I am really not hip and cool wanted the small SUV crossover.

Room for my bike or skis plus suitcases; or cuteness that is a little easier to park? Practical Patty wins again. For everything except the parking, the SUV fits me. It reminds me of my beloved SUVs from home that toted my bike to Sunday rides, skis to Tahoe, and, yes, kids and/or dogs to everywhere. I can only do so much change at one time. But, if I ever have a SECOND car, it's the hardtop for sure!

"You took the train???" So says the car salesman when I left. I guess a guy who makes a living on cars is not a fan of public transportation. But, I'll say that riding the train home (without a train change in Lausanne) was much more relaxing then driving would have been. Plus, I can't eavesdrop in the car.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I voted for the SUV. Also, why did you take a train home if you had just bought a car???...

    P.S. - I've been linking to your blog when I post about you lol. Has your traffic gone up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same question Megan posed. Why didn't you drive your new car home? Also, when did you get an iphone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered the car, did not drive it home.

    ReplyDelete