Sunday, October 16, 2011

Weekend One

Despite my best intentions to get a lot done this weekend, it seems that all I did was sleep. Jet lag finally caught up with me. Plus, I was greatly tempted to nap by the arrival of my quilt! I unpacked all my air shipment boxes on Saturday morning. It was sort of like Christmas. I did not remember what had gone into the air shipment. By the end, I was just throwing things into piles (anyone who visited me the last few weeks in California can attest to that!)

I discovered quite a random assortment of items in the shipment, including things that should have been there, like my little safe and my 2011 financial records, as well as some things that made me wonder, huh? Like an assortment of plastic leftover containers. I obviously was not aware that there would not actually be any food from which to actually have leftovers. Plus, surely I could have made do without them? As it turns out, there are already TWO of them in the fridge with some leftovers in them, so score one for me.

And, at the bottom of one of the boxes was folded my quilt. I think there was a nostalgic bit of the California me that knew I would need a piece of home when I got here. It is the quilt I've had since I was a young wife. There are bits of it torn from where Adam (one of the dogs of my life) decided to use it as a chew toy and I've never been domestic enough to fix it. Nonetheless, it was my perfect security blanket under which to nap both Saturday AND Sunday. Bliss.

I guess it says something about my priorities that the napping comes before the actual doing in this blog. I did manage to travel to Lausanne (by train because I was afraid to drive and actually more afraid to park), find the Bureau d'Etrangers (or something like that) and get myself registered for my "biometrique." Honestly, I don't actually know what I did. I only know that HR gave me instructions (in French) and that I needed to do this. Perhaps I have now signed myself up for the Swiss army or to be a contestant on Switzerland's Got Talent. There is no telling.

I thought I would go grocery shopping when I got back from Lausanne, but the stores close at 5:00 on Saturday. I walked into the grocery store at 4:55, but didn't get anything purchased. Fortunately, I have enough food to get me through until about Tuesday. If I haven't gotten anything new by then, I can always live on chocolate since I now have three welcome boxes. You've got to love a company that welcomes you with chocolate. Plus, when I arrived home from a long, tiring week on Friday, there was a beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting on my doorstep. Courtesy of Nestle. Flowers, chocolate and a great job. It's better than a date. Well, at least better than a bad date. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment